Toyota South Africa has announced the arrival of two 1,6 litre models to extend the popular Corolla Verso range. These new models are added to the existing range of four 1,8 litre models that have been on the local market for the past year. Significantly these two new Corolla Versos enter the market at below R200 000.
“The compact MPV sector is becoming increasingly competitive in South Africa and worldwide,” says Johan van Zyl, President and CEO of Toyota South Africa. “A year ago we announced the Verso as an element of the Corolla range to achieve representation in this market. The Verso offers both value for money in terms of specification and a high level of space efficiency as a stylish 5+2 seat MPV and has proved a popular addition to the Corolla range.
“With the 1,8 litre Verso 180 models established in the market and well supported by buyers we are in a position to expand the range downwards with two new models that address a high demand sector of the market for compact SUVs selling for under R200 000. Our entry level Verso, the Verso 160, enters the market at a retail price of R179 700 with the Verso 160 SX priced at R197 700. Prices include a 5 year/90 000km ToyotaCare Service Plan."
The new Verso 160 and Verso 160 SX are powered by a derivative of the proven Corolla 1,6 litre all aluminium engine that produces 81kW @ 6000 r/min with torque of 150 Nm @ 3800 r/min. This compares to the 95 kW @ 6000 r/min and 170Nm @ 4200 of the 1,8 litre engine.
A feature of the Verso is its innovative “Easy Flat-7” fold flat interior. This superb system that set new benchmarks for seating versatility in the compact MPV class, can be configured in as many as 32 different load and seating variations. Positioned as a high value for money entry level compact MPV, the Verso 160 offers an exceptional list of features including:
- Disc brakes all round with ABS and EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution).
- 205/55 R16 91V tyres mounted on 6.5JX16 steel wheels.
- Power steering.
- Air conditioner with clean air filter.
- Rear heater ducts.
- Tinted widows all round with sound absorbing acoustic windscreen.
- Power windows at the front.
- Power side mirrors.
- Illuminated entry system.
- Map reading lights.
- Optitron instrumentation with multi-function display.
- Steering wheel adjustment for rake and reach.
- Front and rear cup holders.
- Auxiliary power point.
- RDS Radio with front-loading CD player.
- Satellite audio controls on steering wheel.
- Dual stage driver and passenger airbags with passenger airbag on/off switch.
- Driver side knee airbag and side airbags for both front seats.
- 3-point seat belts for all seven seats.
- ISO-FIX rear child seat anchors with top tethers.
- Headlamp levelling device.
- Rear fog light.
- Remote control central locking including tailgate.
- Luggage compartment cover.
- Headlamp on and seat belt fastened warning buzzers.
- 5 storage compartments.
- Height adjustable front sports seats.
- Daytona cloth trim
The Verso 160 SX luxury trim version adds the following items to the features list:
- Brake assist system (Assists in optimising braking effort in emergencies).
Full airbag protection with 7-airbags including curtain side airbags on all four passenger doors.
- 205/55 R16 91V tyres mounted on 6.5JX16 alloy wheels.
- Automatic climate control air conditioning.
- Automatic rain-sensing windscreen wipers.
- Power windows front and rear.
- Electrochromatic rear view mirror.
- Illumination for vanity mirror in sunvisor.
- RDS Radio with in-dash 6 CD shuttle.
- Cruise control.
- Driver and passenger centre armrests.
- Leather steering wheel and gear knob covers.
- Vehicle stability control and traction control.
- Double lock system.
- Front and rear fog lights.
- Estoril cloth trim.
A key-card entry system, electronic steering lock, and a high level of intrusion protection are standard across the Verso range. Fuel tank capacity is 60 litres.
A feature of the Corolla Verso is low accident repair costs, particularly those resulting from lower speed accidents. This is achieved by the use of replaceable crushable structures that isolate the main chassis structure by absorbing crash energy. A number of parts vulnerable to crash damage, like headlights, are designed to separate from their mountings at pre-determined points to lessen the transfer of crash energy and reduce the level of damage and thus repair costs.
Service intervals for the Corolla Verso are 15 000 kilometres and the vehicle price includes a 5 year/90 000km ToyotaCare Service Plan. A 3 year/100 000km mechanical warranty is provided together with 24 hour roadside emergency support.
Corolla Verso Prices: Verso 160 R179 700, Verso 160 SX R197 700, Verso 180 R209 400, Verso 180 SX
R227 400, Verso 180 SX MMT R235 000, Verso 180 TX MMT R249 000
All prices are inclusive of VAT.